My Grandpa's Immigrant Experience

 

My grandfather Carlton H. Dixon arrived in the United States on September 1, 1963.  He grew up and lived in Jamaica, West Indies for the first 21 years.  My grandfather wanted to come to the U.S because he heard that it had a good reputation for education, especially for foreigners.  He faced several difficulties adjusting in the U.S, in particular adjusting to the weather, missing family and friends, limited funds, finding suitable housing, and racism.  The college that he wanted to attend was in Washington D.C and luckily he had friends who were already living there.  Friends provided accommodations and support which contributed to his speedy adjustment to his new environment.  He attended Howard University and got a degree in mathematics in 1967.  He worked hard and earned enough money to send back home to his family and to put himself through school.  After receiving his degree, he moved to New York and got a job at the Metropolitan Insurance Co where he worked until he retired in 1999. 

Even though my grandfather’s journey was successful he did face some obstacles of prejudice and racism.  Coming from Jamaica, he did not experience a language barrier since his primary language was English.  In the U.S, he was able to communicate, get through school, and get a job.  But there were obstacles that prevented his assimilation.  He was unable to acquire suitable housing.  He had a good job and money to live in a desirable neighborhood.  On the phone realtors would make appointments to show him apartments but when he arrived to meet with realtors, they would steer him to an ethnic neighborhood or tell him there was no availability.  During the early years when living in New York, he was only able to acquire housing in low-income neighborhoods of Brooklyn.  When he got married, he was able to purchase a home in a middle-class neighborhood in Queens.

When he came to the U.S he realized that his family was quite poor.  While in Jamaica, there was never really any reason to consider poverty an issue as all of his friends and acquaintances were all basically in the same boat.  In America, the inequities were “in your face”, and generally because of pervasive racism.

My grandfather’s mother was unable to afford the elite secondary schools in Jamaica.  The expectation was that he become self-sufficient because there was a struggle to get basics and support yourself.  Luckily, he passed an exam that allowed him to attend the Experimental Secondary Class, which was free a government sponsored program.  This program gave him hope and a drive to succeed.  My grandfather wanted more, he set his aim on getting to the U.S.  He had the skills to attend Howard University just as he had dreamed of.  He wanted prestige and a successful career.  My grandfather achieved the American Dream. 

My grandfather has been my motivation to go to college and get my degree.  He wants me to succeed and have a career.  My grandfather realized that he was able to achieve his dreams by getting his degree and working hard.  He instilled these values on the importance of education to his son and to me, his granddaughter.  My grandfather’s story and experiences have had a big impact on me and affects the choices I make with regards to my future.  He has been my cheerleader as I go through my own journey.

Comments

  1. Your grandfather sounds like a remarkable and inspiring man. You're very lucky to have him in your life! Thank you for sharing his story with us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment